Tuesday 25 November 2008

3 cheeses for a fiver

I couldn't resist this offer when I spotted it in Somerfield the other day even though it broke one of my cardinal rules of not buying something you're not sure you can use up. Admittedly it wasn't a bad buy. We had family staying overnight, the cheeses individually would have come to over £7 and they were all versatile cheeses - a goats' cheese, a Brie and a piece of mature Stilton from the so-called 'Best Ever' range - which one could use in any number of ways.

I managed to use up a good chunk of the goats' cheese this lunchtime with a spontaneous salad of lightly dressed leaves topped with some roughly-torn croutons, made from leftover bread I baked off quickly in the A*A (won't bang on too much about that, notSupermum!) but could easily have made when I had the oven on for something else.


The Brie, which should last a few days longer, can easily be turned into a toastie or melt and the sell-by date on the Stilton is not till the 17th so there should be plenty of opportunity to use that up. Just a shame that my husband doesn't eat cheese . . .

4 comments:

The Larder Lout said...

what's your view on freezing cheese?? Mum freezes cheddar quite a lot and it seems to come out fine - not necessarily for a cheese plate, but certainly for toasties, pizzas etc....

Fiona Beckett said...

Yup, should have mentioned that, James. Depends on the cheese. Brie and cheddar certainly freeze quite well and it's quite useful to keep a plastic box of grated cheese to add to a topping or sauce. Good point!

Anonymous said...

There would be little chance of it not being used up in time in my house because I'm a cheeseaholic :P

I couldn't quite see the size of the portions in the photo - I would think 3 for a fiver is not bad at all, depending also on quality. If I do have some odd bits of different cheese I have to use up in a hurry, I either find some kind of suitable soup to fling them in, or do a mixed veg and/or pasta bake where I can just tear them in pieces and throw in any old how.

Fiona Beckett said...

Good suggestions, greenlady. Yes, they were a reasonable size and the Somerfield premium range. Not as good as artisanal cheeses, obviously but about half the price.

UA-3466976-1